Thursday, July 15, 2010

AL Central Corrections

Well, boy was I wrong. Not entirely sure how the Chisox are in first, or how they are winning every game they play, but they are. I was pretty sure theyd be under 500, and didnt think there would be over 2 teams in the central with more wins than losses. Whats even stranger is how bad the Twins are.

I knew the loss of Joe Nathan would hurt, but the bullpen and starters are even worse than I could have imagined. I am not giving up on them yet, I do think they are better then the Tigers, but this is not a very good team. Its surely not a 90 win team. They have zero pen, they dont have a #1 or even a #2 starter, and they have three below average pitchers following Liriano and Pavano, the only two decent ones they have. Slowey, Baker, and Blackburn are garbage, all of them, and no division winning team can start those 3 crumbums in the same rotation.

I was shocked they did not get Cliff Lee before Texas did, because this team had to have him to have any chance in the playoffs. But over the last 3 weeks, I have come to the realization that this is not even a playoff team, much less one capable of winning a playoff round.


So, sadly, and with regret, I think the White Sox win this division, with no bigger reason than they have one of the worst bullpens in the league, by far. They find ways to blow big leads, small leads, road leads, home leads. The lefties cant get lefties out, the closer is mediocre, if that, and the lineup outside of Morneau and a major down year Mauer, has been pretty average itself.

Coupled with rookie studs Austin Jackson and Brandon Boesch in Detroit, along with big bounceback years from Chisox OF's Alex Rios and Carlos Quentin leads me to say the Twins are a third place team.

No comments:

Post a Comment